Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Let My Candle Go Out - Thomas Watson

Those of you who know me well know I am very non-competitive by nature. Coupled with my natural timidity, I was certain not be called into preaching so many years ago. Now nearly 14 years into preaching ministry, I am still a bit put off how competitive preachers can be. Yet, when I hear solid preaching, I rejoice. Some praiseworthy preaching comes from competitive men, while still others are tempted to think themselves spiritually superior for being non-competitive. 


The truth is not found in the manner of preaching or the preacher, but all the glory is to be to Christ. I meditate on this as I read the great Puritan preacher Thomas Watson's lectures on the shorter catechism in print as The Body of Divinity. The preacher's candle is a flame to go out that Christ may be the only One shining. Watson makes this point:

"We aim at God’s glory when we are content to be outshined by others in gifts and esteem, so that his glory may be increased. A man that has God in his heart, and God’s glory in his eye, desires that God should be exalted; and if this be effected, let who will be the instrument, he rejoices. ‘Some preach Christ of envy: notwithstanding Christ is preached, and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice’ (Philippians 1:15); they preached Christ of envy, they envied Paul that concourse of people, and they preached that they might outshine him in gifts, and get away some of his hearers: well, says Paul, Christ is preached, and God is like to have the glory, therefore I rejoice; let my candle go out, if the Sun of Righteousness may but shine."

No comments:

Post a Comment