Wednesday, November 2, 2022

The Wise Person is Teachable

 “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.” –Proverbs 12:15

The fool does not admit to wrongdoing in total. He is either right in his own eyes, or would be right if it weren’t for circumstances or other people, what we call blame-shifting.

I look back and reflect on how the Lord used me as a tool to help so many people. Redeeming rocky marriages, reconciling friendships in strife, comforting those who grieve, seeing sinners repent. However, I am in no ways perfect. I have said words that have wounded, stemming from wrong thoughts. I could easily defend my wrongdoing with a posture of being right in my own eyes, shifting blame on others saying “they made me angry” as opposed to confessing that I sinned in my anger.

God has a wise word: a wise man listens to advice. What remains foolish in me must humbly be open to council. In a word, the wise person is teachable; moving from self-righteousness toward humility. This requires my pride to gaze toward the cross. Christ laid down His life not only to forgive me, but to save me. Christ cleanses me with the water of His Word. Beloved, the Bible is a treasury of wisdom instructing our hearts to be transformed from our foolish thoughts and desires to know and desire God. Self-righteousness stands in the way of my knowing and desiring God.

Self-righteousness kills relationships. To a spouse or kids, self-righteousness makes living with you difficult because you cannot be wrong and they can never live up to your expectations. Being a close friend to you is difficult because any threat to your self-righteousness makes conversations with you unbearable. Words and behaviors must be defended or excused because you know you are right.

The Christian has received the gift of the Father in Christ a righteousness that is not his own. I am perfect in the eyes of God because I am in Christ. I no longer feel dread defending my foolishness because such things no longer condemn me. I have been liberated to listen to advice because now I am being sanctified.

Pride fears appearing weak, yet wisdom owns up to two things in our decision making and relationships: I miscalculate my own foolishness and blindness in my thoughts and I undervalue the wisdom I could receive from the counsel of others. God has made known to us the path of life (Psalm 16:11), a path our Savior tells us few find and is a hard path (Matthew 7:14).

A healthy Christian traveler on the hard path of life needs a church family pursuing wisdom as well as a humble ear inclined to learn from their advice. Christ’s disciples are lifelong learners of the depths of the hidden treasures of knowledge and wisdom in Christ (Colossians 2:3). Oh, how much more precious are the treasures of wisdom to be learned than rubies (Proverbs 8:11)! The great treasury of learning God’s revealed Word together with humble, teachable hearts in adoration of Christ in whom is hidden all the treasures, the valuable joyous rewards which delights the heart, of knowledge and wisdom.

Beloved flock, let us be easy listeners and truth speakers encouraging one another’s adoration for Christ as we pursue wisdom together in united harmony, not in pride but lowly, not wise in our own eyes (Romans 12:16).

Heavenly Father, You search the heart and know our foolishness. Yet, in Your wisdom You know what lessons must be heard and learned. Grant Your servants humble, teachable ears to hear godly advice. Grant us grace to recall our need and dependence on You. Grant us grace which stirs our hearts to pursue wisdom hidden in Christ by the deep study of Your Scripture. Bless Your church as we labor together as we teach one another in united adoration of Christ. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment