Monday, September 19, 2022

Burroughs on the Christian's Contentment


Contentment is a word used in the world meaning "settling for something when something else is more desired." So, folks say things like, "well, I guess I will just be content with it." For the Christian, contentment is enjoying the mercies of God as the better portion, truly satisfied. Read this excerpt from Puritan preacher Jeremiah Burroughs' book The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment:

"So be satisfied and quiet, be contented with your contentment. I lack certain things that others have, but blessed be God, I have a contented heart which others have not. Then, I say, be content with your contentment, for it is a rich portion that the Lord has granted you. 

If the Lord should give you thousands in this world, it would not be such a rich portion as this, that he has given you a contented spirit. Oh, go away and praise the name of God, and say, ‘Why, Lord, it is true that I would be glad if I had these and these comforts which others have, but you have cut me short. Though I lack these, yet you have given me what is as good and better, you have given me a quiet, contented heart, to be willing to be at your disposal."

No comments:

Post a Comment